Questions to ask your doctor
about diabetes is one of the first steps in understanding what can be done to
sustain a healthy lifestyle. Many of your questions can be answered by your doctor.
Below is a sample list of questions to aid you in learning about diabetes.
Questions to ask about diabetes:
- What type of diabetes do I have?
- What is the right
weight for me?
- What kinds and amounts of food are right for me?
you take medicine for diabetes: How much medicine
should I take?
- When should I take my medicine?
- Should I check
my blood sugar levels at home with a glucose monitor?
- When is the best
time to check my blood sugars?
- What are my goals regarding blood sugar
- What are the warning signs or symptoms that my blood sugars are
- What are the warning signs or symptoms that my blood sugars
are too low?
- How can I change my lifestyle and diet in a way that will
- What are the side effects of my medications/insulin?
I always need medications/insulin?
- What other medications can help me?
- Is having diabetes a disability?
- What are the long-term
complications of diabetes?
- How can I avoid the long term complications
- How do high cholesterol and high blood pressure affect me
if I have diabetes?
- How often should I be seeing my doctor to optimize
my diabetes management?
- If you smoke: What can I do that will help me
- How should I take care of my feet?
- How do I check
for loss of feeling in my feet? If there is loss of feeling, you should report
it to your doctor.
- Are there any diabetes support groups that I could
attend in our area?