How to diminish home improvement conflict
The stress of a home improvement can push any couple to the brink. The simple tips below will help ease the tension caused by home renovations.
Home renovation tips
- Agree about what needs to get done. A lot of bickering during renovations is about having differing ideas
of the goals for the project.
- Prioritize the tasks: How important is each one? And how hard or easy is it to do?
- Cut projects down to size. Instead of remodeling the entire house or the entire second story, remodel one room at a time.
- Set deadlines. Set realistic deadlines for the tasks you and your spouse have agreed upon.
- Protect quality time, sacrifice fix-it time. Take a break and enjoy some quality time. Try going to a movie. If money is an issue, try attend a free event. Most museums offer free admission once a month. During the summer months, a lot of parks offer free musical concerts.
- Be a team. If you're going to work on a renovation project together, you need to work together. Don't argue in front of contractors. If you are doing it yourself, both people should work. There should not be a 'boss and a worker'. Both people should work together.
- Order take-out when you are too tired to cook.
After a long day of home renovations, the last thing anybody wants to do is cook dinner together. When making a budget for home repairs, include extra money for take-out meals.
- Have a sense of humor. Laughter usually helps ease tension. You'll also create one of those, 'remember when we did this' moments.
- Communicate (nicely)