Fall is officially here, which means soon you’ll be spending more time indoors than out. But before you layer the quilts and bring out the pumpkin decor, it might be a good idea to get rid of or repair some things around your home that could impact your health this season.

From small things like your curtains to more dangerous items like gas space heaters, here are five things that could put the health of you and your family at risk this fall.

Unwashed curtains and window treatments

Some homeowners like to change up their curtains and window treatments throughout the year. But if you prefer to leave your curtains up year-round, it’s all too easy to forget to clean them every now and again.

Window treatments can collect dust, dirt, hair, pollen, and other allergens throughout the year that can make you congested and may even cause respiratory infections. To combat these cold-like symptoms, learn how to clean your window treatments according to their style and clean them once every three to six months.

Some window treatments, like curtains, can be put in the wash on a gentle cycle, while window shades (one of the most common forms of window treatments) need to be carefully wiped down.

Antibacterial soaps

Fall is the beginning of flu season, which means you’re probably washing your hands religiously and using cleaning products to wipe down counters throughout the day. But it turns out antibacterial soaps may not actually be the best way to ward off harmful diseases and bacteria.

According to the FDA, antibacterial soaps contain triclosan and triclocarban, which are linked to creating antibiotic-resistant bacteria. They’re also not biodegradable.

Consider using regular soap and water to clean to your hands and avoid antibacterial products. As for the flu, the U.S. holds of the global pharmaceutical market so you can find flu shots easily near you.

Gas space heaters

With the temperatures dropping, it makes sense to want to pull up a space heater to keep yourself and your family toasty and warm. But it’s important to be incredibly careful when you’re using a space heater, especially if it’s gas.

Natural gas is one of the most popular fuels for natural heating. The global specialty gas market is expected to reach $14 billion by 2026 and 62 million homes are powered by natural gas in the United States.

However, gas-powered anything releases a small amount of carbon when they’re used. When you’re using a gas-powered appliance inside and it’s not operated properly, you could end up with a dangerous carbon monoxide leak.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be life-threatening. Symptoms include dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath, weakness, confusion, and loss of consciousness.

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, be sure to use gas-powered appliances correctly, have them serviced regularly, use proper air ventilation, and make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are working.

While your mind is focused on harmful gases, this is a great time to discuss radon. Radon is a naturally-occurring, radioactive gas that is odorless and colorless and can leak through the foundation of your home. Radon exposure can cause long-term health issues, including lung cancer. About one in 15 homes have radon levels at or above the EPA action level, making it both a common and a dangerous problem across the United States. Luckily, you can purchase test kits to find out the radon levels in your home and install a radon mitigation system to redirect the gas out of your house if necessary.

With the weather getting colder, you’ll soon be spending more time indoors with your family. That means it’s more important than ever for your home to be a comfortable and healthy place. By managing the appliances and products above in your home, you can reduce your risk of health issues this fall as a family.